Coronavirus: What I need to know?
What is Coronavirus?The new coronavirus* disease, COVID-19, has the attention of the whole world. This virus has spread rapidly since the outbreak began in the east of China in December 2019. But what exactly is it? How can you avoid catching it? Can you still travel? these are the questions have been asked most often. Below offer some answers and explanations.
Beware of Misinformation
Just as the number of people and countries affected by this new virus have spread, so have conspiracy theories and unfounded claims about it. Already social media sites have seen a number of false and misleading posts about 2019-nCoV, such as:
- 1. “Oregano Oil Proves Effective Against Coronavirus,” an unfounded claim
- 2. Sales of unproven “nonmedical immune boosters” to help people ward off 2019-nCoV
- 3. unfounded recommendations to prevent infection by taking vitamin C and avoiding spicy foods
What are the Symptoms?
The new coronavirus initially produces the same symptoms as the common cold, but these can develop into fever, breathing difficulties and pneumonia. How ill you become depends on a number of factors. So far it is seen that people with weakened immune systems (the elderly and people with other underlying medical conditions) are becoming more seriously ill than young, healthy people.
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:
- 1. Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- 2. Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- 3. New confusion or inability to arouse
- 4. Bluish lips or face
What can you do to avoid becoming infected?
1. Coronavirus transmitted through tiny droplets that produce when people cough and sneeze. Therefore it is important to keep distance of at least 1 meter from infected people.
2. Wash you hands thoroughly and often
3. Use paper handkerchiefs (tissues)